- 1 large fennel bulb, base trimmed
- 1 tbsp butter, plus a knob
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 140g risotto rice
- 175ml white wine
- 550ml hot vegetable stock
- zest 1 lemon
- 25g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- small handful cooked, peeled prawns per portion
- Chop any green leafy fennel fronds and set aside. Cut off the stalk-like fennel top, remove the outer layers and finely chop both. Heat 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan and cook the onion, garlic and chopped fennel until soft but not coloured.
- Add the rice and stir for 1 min. Pour over most of the wine and simmer until evaporated. Add 500ml of the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition until it is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining fennel and fry in knob of butter until browned. Add remaining stock and wine and cook until tender.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the zest, Parmesan and some seasoning. Take off the heat and set aside, covered, for 2 mins. Serve in bowls, topped with the fennel fronds and cooked fennel, stirring the prawns through if using.