Mussels cooked in chilli, garlic, tomato & white wine
1 kg of Mussels
1 Chilli (seeds removed)
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Medium Onion
300g Chopped Tomatoes (tinned are fine to use)
1 Teaspoon of chopped tarragon
1 Teaspoon chopped thyme
1 Teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 Teaspoon of sugar
1 Teaspoon sherry vinegar
150ml White Wine
Salt & pepper to taste
Lemon to garnish
- First make the tomato sauce by sweating the onions in a little oil on a medium heat with the thyme until soft.
- Add the paprika, sugar, sherry vinegar and cook until the vinegar has completely evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for five minutes and then put to one side.
- Finely chop the garlic & chilli and add to a cold wide bottom pot with a little oil and place on a medium heat.
- When the chilli & garlic start to sizzle, add the mussels, white wine & tomato sauce.
- Cook with a lid on top until all mussels are open. Discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Finish with the chopped tarragon, salt and pepper. Serve with a slice of lemon and enjoy!
Chef tip from Andrew Lawlor:
To guarantee the freshness of your mussels, ensure the shells are closed before cooking.