It’s the time of year again! The evenings are shorter, Halloween is just around the corner and the Pumpkin Spice Latte is back! Made famous by Starbucks in 2003, the pumpkin spice latte has since become an Autumn staple in coffee shops and cafe’s around the world. Unfortunately, in Ireland, we don’t have access to pumpkin spice so it’s next to impossible to make a pumpkin spice latte at home. Well luckily, we have the answer, here’s a really simple recipe to make your very own pumpkin spice. It doesn’t necessarily have to be used in coffee, it makes a great addition to baked goods too!
To begin you’ll need to make your own pumpkin spice, the ingredients are listed below;
Pumpkin Spice Ingredients
- 3 Tablespoons of Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons of Ground Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons of Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Ground Allspice
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Ground Cloves
- 1 Cup of Milk (Divided)
- 1 Tablespoon of White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Teaspoon of Pumpkin Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup of Brewed Espresso
- Over a low heat, whisk together 1/2 of the milk, sugar, pumpkin spice, vanilla extract and pumpkin puree in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes and whisk in the rest of the milk.
- Pour the milk through a sieve. Return the milk mixture to the saucepan and simmer once again, whisking it for about 2 minutes. Add the espresso and whisk until the mixture becomes foamy.