Earlier this evening 15 Irish restaurants were awarded Gongs at the Just Eat National Takeaway Awards. Just Eat, Ireland’s leading online food delivery service held the annual awards for the fourth consecutive year. The awards are unique in the sense that they’re currently the only awards in Ireland which celebrate not only the quality of the food but the quality of service and variety.
The awards aim to reward and recognize excellence in the takeaway restaurant sector. Just Eat has over 2,000 takeaway restaurants online. Dozens of the shortlisted restaurants gather to celebrate Ireland’s greatest takeaway dishes. Among the winners were Burrito Loco in Letterkenny, voted Best Takeaway in Ireland. While Ajanta Indian Takeaway in Drogheda was awarded the title of Ireland’s Best Curry. The Best Takeaway Chipper was awarded to Friar’s Rest in Letterkenny.
While we all know that us Irish love a good takeaway, you might not have known that Ireland’s takeaways account for 57% of our entire restaurant sector. Ireland’s takeaway sector contributes over €1bn to Irish GDP and this figure is set to increase by 17% by 2020.
This year’s awards included 20 categories, including Best Takeaway Mexican and Best Takeaway Salad. Voting took place over the past few weeks, there were a total of 20,000 votes cast by members of the public. The Irish public chose not only their favourite takeaway restaurant but their favourite dish. Those representatives who attended the awards in Dublin 2 were treated to an entertaining evening hosted by comedian Colm O’Regan and radio host Louise Duffy who presented the lucky winners with their well-deserved rewards.
Burrito Loco was a favourite, receiving thousands of votes which lead to the establishment claiming a whopping three prizes in total including Best Takeaway Lunchtime, Best Takeaway Ulster and Best Takeaway Ireland. Thai Green Curry won Ireland’s Favourite Dish followed by the go-to hangover cure; the Spice Bag. The awards dedicated an entire category to the dish ‘Best Spice Bag‘ which went to Lin Keen Takeaway in Swords. The ever-popular Camile Thai in Phibsborough won Best Takeaway Thai while Best Takeaway Pizza was given to Firehouse Pizza.
Managing Director Just Eat Ireland, Amanda Roche Kelly said: “The Just Eat National Takeaway Awards continue to grow year on year. The number of restaurants that enter, the numbers of votes cast and the overall attendance at the awards has grown significantly since we launched the Awards in 2014. It is becoming a really important date on the calendar of not only the 2,000 restaurants on the Just Eat platform but on the calendar of all those in the country who strive to create and deliver quality food for consumers to take away.
“We know how committed our takeaway restaurant partners are by providing a quality service for customers and we think it’s extremely important to recognise and celebrate this. As the takeaway sector continues to diversify and expand, the scope for these awards can only increase.”
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Best Takeaway Chinese – Lin Kee, Swords, Co. Dublin
- Best Takeaway Indian – Bombay Pantry, Fairview, Dublin 3
- Best Takeaway Thai – Camile Thai, Phibsborough, Dublin 7
- Best Takeaway Chipper – Friar’s Rest, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Best Takeaway Mexican – Boojum, Dublin 8
- Best Takeaway Japanese – Zakura, Wexford Street, Dublin 2
- Best Takeaway American – Eddie Rocket’s, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
- Best Takeaway Healthy – Chopped, Clontarf, Dublin 3
- Best Takeaway Lunchtime – Burrito Loco, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Best Takeaway Pizza – Firehouse Pizza, Ballymun, Dublin 11
- Ireland’s Best Curry – Ajanta Indian Takeaway, Drogheda, Co. Louth
- Ireland’s Best Spice Bag – Lin Kee, Swords, Co. Dublin
- Ireland’s Best Salad – Sprout & Co. Dawson Street, Dublin 2
- Best Takeaway Dublin – Camile Thai, Phibsborough, Dublin 7
- Best Takeaway Leinster – Gino’s Diner, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Best Takeaway Munster – Ramen, Sunday’s Well, Cork
- Best Takeaway Connaught – Danolla’s Fish & Chips, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
- Best Takeaway Ulster – Burrito Loco, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Best Takeaway Ireland – Burrito Loco, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Ireland’s Favourite Dish – Thai Green Curry
Did your favourite takeaway make the cut? Let us know via our Facebook page or Tweet us @Menupages.ie