Recipe to impress non-vegan friends, so good they may not even know the difference!
While there are many, many recipes that would impress your friends, this one really takes the biscuit.
Makes 12 slices
For the shortbread
250g plain flour
100g caster sugar
175g vegan margarine
For the caramel
100g vegan margarine
125g light brown sugar
300g vegan peanut butter
For the topping
200g vegan chocolate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180’C/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease/line a 30 x 20cm tin.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour and caster sugar in a bowl.
3. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough, then press into the base of the already lined/greased tin.
5. Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and very lightly browned. Cool in the tin.
6. Whilst the shortbread cools, melt the margarine in a saucepan along with the sugar. When it has melted and combined, add the peanut butter and combine in the saucepan for about 5 minutes (it will thicken)
7. Then spread the peanut butter mixture over the shortbread and leave to cool (approx. 1 hour, longer if possible)
8. For the topping, melt the chocolate. Then pour over the cold (do not do this before it is cold) peanut butter mix and leave to set. Cut into squares or bars.
Try not to eat it all at once!