Full of nutty goodness, this is a much healthier – version of a Greek classic, a perfect winter warmer for this time of year!
• 5 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 large aubergine (1/2 cm slices)
• 1 large onion (chopped)
• 115g mushrooms (sliced)
• 1 garlic clove (crushed)
• 4 tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
• 1 tbsp tomato puree
• 2 tbsp vegan red wine – optional
• 1 tsp mixed herbs
• 85g walnuts (chopped)
• 30g wholemeal breadcrumbs
• Salt and pepper
• 30g wholemeal flour
• 275ml soya milk
• Extra walnuts to garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry slices of aubergine on both sides, then drain on paper towels. Set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and saute the onions for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Stir in tomatoes, puree, wine (if used) and herbs and cook gently until a sauce forms. Add walnuts, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. If necessary, add a drop more oil, vegetable stock or tomato puree mixed with water.
4. Put the remaining oil, flour and soya milk into a saucepan and whisk continuously over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes until thick and smooth.
5. Lightly grease a shallow oven-proof dish. Arrange half the aubergine slices across its base, top with half the nut mixture and then half the white sauce. Repeat.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Top with extra nuts halfway through cooking time.